Human Concerns Committee
On behalf of our parish community, the Christ King Human Concerns Committee (HCC) responds to Jesus’ command to love our neighbor as ourselves by working for the common good.
Through several sub-committees and many dedicated volunteers, the HCC seeks to support those in need within our parish and throughout the greater Milwaukee community. Our focus is to alleviate hunger, homelessness, illiteracy, loneliness, and other forms of suffering. This is done through our Care Ministries (Bereavement, Shepherd and Prayer Shawl Ministries, birthday cards to parish seniors, get well and sympathy cards, funeral receptions, Ministry of Praise, and Women’s Prayer Circle), Alcohol & Drug Awareness, and Parish Library; our support of Greater Tosa Interfaith, Habitat for Humanity, and St. Vincent de Paul Meal Programs; and through our seasonal outreach projects (back-to-school drive, food drives, spring & fall clothing drives, Christmas Giving Tree, Lenten CRS rice bowl drive, and Mother’s Day rose sale).
In addition to giving of self, our parish community – through your stewardship and additional donations – also provides financial support to worthy groups and organizations within our parish, the greater Milwaukee community, and agencies that address an international need. Beneficiaries of this support are primarily the elderly; individuals and families who are hungry, homeless, or are lacking basic necessities; those who have physical, mental, or emotional challenges; and agencies that provide pro-life education and/or ongoing support to pregnant women.
The HCC reviews information from each considered organization before a determination is made on how committee funds will be allocated. Following is a list of those groups that received a disbursement from the committee this past fiscal year (July 1, 2017 through June 30, 2018):
- Benedict Center
- Catholic Charities
- Wisconsin Right to Life
- Casa Romero
- Catholic Relief Services
- Life Navigators
- Notre Dame School of Milwaukee
- School Sisters of Notre Dame
- Women’s Support Center of Milwaukee, Inc.
- Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist Open Door Café
- St. Catherine Residence
- House of Peace
- MacCanon Brown Homeless Sanctuary
- St. Ann Center for Intergenerational Care
- St. Vincent de Paul – Christ King Chapter
- St. Vincent de Paul – Main Organization
- School Sisters of St. Francis
- Pro-Life Wisconsin
- Daystar, Inc.
- Dominican Center for Women, Inc.
- Greater Milwaukee Free Clinic
- Milwaukee Rescue Mission
- Franciscan Peacemakers – Clare Community
- Literacy Services of Wisconsin
- The Guest House
- Hunger Task Force
- CRS Rice Bowl
- Trinity Lutheran Church (aid following their recent fire)
A binder with information on past beneficiary organizations is available for review in the Parish Library.
If you have any questions or would like more information about the work of the Human Concerns Committee, please call Chair Maureen Stern at 414-698-8056 or send her an EMAIL.
Thank you for your continued support through the giving of your time, talent, and treasure to our parish and to the ministries of the HCC.
Christ King Human Concerns Committee
- Very Rev Phillip Bogacki Pastor
- Rev Will Arnold Asc. Pastor
- Maureen Stern Chair
- Cindy Chovanec Secretary
- Tom Heller Treasurer
- Linda Bardele Parish Giving
- Tom Schroeder L Past. Coun.
- Judy O'Connell SVDP
- Pat Krolikowski Care Ministries
- Z Schaefer Care Ministries
- Pat Krolikowski Bereavement/ Funeral Recptns
- Pat Krolikowski Get Well Cards
- Z Schaefer Ministry of Praise
- Z Schaefer Women Prayer Circle
- OPEN Greater Tosa Interfaith
- OPEN Mums Sale
- Ken Kloser Habitat for Humanity
- OPEN Social Justice/Ed Nwsltr
- Carol Bannen Parish Library
- Julie Wendelberger Meal Program
- Cindy Chovanec School Drive
- Judy Maret Food Drives
- Mary Sermersheim Clothing Drives
- Julie Frank Clothing Drives
- Sue Schmitt Advent Giving Trees
- Sue Schmitt Rice Bowl
- Amy Grau Rose Sale
- Members at Large: Mary Bartkowski