Mrs. Lesko, K5
Welcome to K5A
So many changes, so much growth, so much FUN!
Kindergarten...what a great place to be!
- Lenten Service Project-Fill the Well: We started Lent with a presentation by the School Sisters of St. Francis concerning their work to bring clean water to some of the most desperate areas of the world. Our goal is to fill the "well" created by our student service committee to support the sisters in their mission. We are so fortunate to have unlimited access to fresh water, including the new bubblers in the school and a water bottle in most backpacks. We are hoping for 100% participation, whether it is from extra jobs your child does to earn money for this purpose or digging for change in the couch cushions. This is a great opportunity to show our gratitude for what we have during lent. Currently, our school with a student population of 350+ children, has raised $150 towards this project. We are really hoping to raise over $300 and provide the School Sisters of St. Francis the ability to provide three wells to communities in need of fresh water. This service project will end on Friday, 3/13 so if you would like your family to participate, please send your money to school with your child in an envelope or baggie with their name on it by the end of THIS WEEK.
- Spirit Wear & Jungle Attire Day: Wednesday, 3/11 is a Spirit Wear Day in support of our 8th grade girls and boys as they prepare to participate in the end of the year Padre Serra basketball tournament and Friday 3/15 is Jungle Attire Day to kick off the 2020 Book Fair.
- Shadow Stations of the Cross: Last year, K5A presented the stations of the cross "in shadow" during a prayer service for our school community. It was so well received that we have been asked to do it again this year. The date for the prayer service has been scheduled for Friday, March 27th at 2:15. Please check your calendars and let me know if your child will NOT be attending school on the 27th due to vacations, appointments, etc. I know it's still pretty far off but we need to start preparing this week! It's pretty cool and I would invite you to attend.
- Astronaut Adventure Days: At the end of the month (3/26 & 3/27)we will conclude our Solar System unit with our Astronaut Adventure Days. I have a lot of activities planned but your child will need a few supplies from home. Please send the following items to school with your child on Monday, March 23rd (no sooner, please, as I have no room to store them.
- 1 large shirt or sweater box WITH LID.
- 2 plastic margarine, frosting, or cream cheese lids (or lids of similar size)
- 10 plastic bottle caps (I have some but not enough for everyone)
- Cardboard Egg Cartons: Your child will need ONE cardboard egg carton for an Easter project we will be starting at the end of the month. Please send all egg cartons to school by 3/27.
- Volunteer Opportunities: There are several volunteer opportunities coming up in the next few months (see below). If interested please check out our Volunteer Sign-up page (Google Doc. sent via email at the beginning of the year).
Mystery Reader: Fridays @ 2:30 (please stop by the office to let them know you are our Mystery Reader)
More dates have been added to the Mystery Reader Sign-up page.
March 17: St. Patrick's Day Centers (9:00-10:00)
Volunteers: Please plan your activity and then run that "center".
Activities should last 15 minutes.
Snack & Story: Jen Blaha
March 23 : Astronaut Adventure Day Control Panel Set-Up (7-:45-?)
Sort items and tape the boxes together & add names to the boxes .
March 24: Astronaut Adventure Day Control Panel Assembly (7:45-?)
Assemble control panels
- Dizzy Fleming
March 26: Astronaut Adventure Days Classroom Helper (9:00-10:00)
- Jen Blaha
March 27: Astronaut Adventure Days Classroom Helper (9:00-10:00)
- Liz Matola
As always...if you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to contact me.
3rd Week of Lent
Thanks for all the food we eat
Thanks for all the friends we meet.
Readers check their reading.
As books become harder readers need new kinds of picture power.
Readers can lean on snap words as books become less patterned.
Snap Words (sight words)
seen, ask, it
(Review: from, what, look, there, get, said, make, play, and, where, are, of, that, go, in, down, out, with, this, is, not, as, run, for, big, little, have, like, to, do, you, we, God, I, can, me, see, my, on, the, a, the)
Snap Word Book
Planet Roll Call
Correct formation of the letters in our 1st and last names
Sentences begin with an uppercase letter.
Sentences have spaces between each word.
Sentences have an ending mark (period, question mark, exclamation point)
Using our Word Books to write sentences
Addition with manipulatives
Place value (tens and ones)
Greater than, Less than, Equal
Solar System: The Planets
K5A Specials Schedule