Mrs. Dahm, MS Math
WELCOME BACK EVERYONE!
There are 18 groups of students, three in each class.
Thus, everyone has tests and quizzes on different days.
Further, it is hard to list them all on the calendar. I will do my best.
Please ask your child when they are.
Middle school is a great time for them to take ownership of their quiz and test dates.
They always know a few days in advance.
- There will be approximately two to three quizzes per chapter. Please reference the middle school calendar for all dates.
- Quizzes can be corrected for half credit back but must be returned the following day in order to receive that credit.
- There are no retakes on Unit Tests. Please come prepared. All tests will be sent home for a signature and students must correct all mistakes. YOU CANNOT EARN POINTS BACK ON TEST CORRECTIONS. YOU GET WHAT YOU GET.
- Student grades are weighted. The grading program mathematically computes your child's grade, based on the following weights:
HOMEWORK 20% (Consider this your FREE EXTRA CREDIT! GROW YOUR BRAIN and fix your work!)
Fixes on homework must GO ON THE BACK OR ON SEPARATE PAPER. NO PEN. I WILL NOT ACCEPT FIXES ANY OTHER WAY.
KHAN: 10% (Consider this FREE EXTRA CREDIT!)
*We will still be checking binders for organization, but I will not be grading them!
Perhaps the most exciting news this year is KHAN!
I will not be assigning weekly topics for each grade.
I CONSIDER THIS PART OF THEIR INDIVIDUALIZED LEARNING THIS YEAR!
Each child will be required to do the following:
*Two hours of Khan each month
*Choose their own topics: whatever they feel they need more work on OR something they want to learn more about.
*TEN minutes of videos MAXIMUM PER MONTH:)
(YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!)
*We are all busy, and I think this will offer the kids some flexibility as to when they do it and use Khan more as a personal practice tool.
Homework has three symbols in the grade books.
- 100% means they correctly did all their problems.
- 88% means that a student got two wrong or less. If a child receives an 88%, they are able to make as many corrections as they want until they receive a 100%, but it is not required. Corrections should be done when they receive the assignment back. They are not accepted after the Unit Test.
0% means that the student had more than 2 wrong, and corrections are mandatory. Do not panic when you see a 0. It is simply a symbol that they need to make corrections and owe work.
Sixth Grade: Algebraic Expressions and equations
Seventh Grade: Everything decimals, fractions and integers. Exponents, scientific notation.
Pre-Algebra: Everything decimals, fractions, and integers. Exponents, scientific notation.
Algebra: Multi-step equations and inequalities. Absolute Value equations
Algebra 2: nothing yet.
- Red pen
- Whiteboard Marker (please label)
- Calculator (please label)
- Textbook (6th only)
Textbooks are only used in sixth grade. They are able to leave their textbooks in my classroom.